We’ve all seen ads for companies that make instagram magnets – for the low low price of a lot of money. Making my own was much easier and cheaper than I imagined.
Here’s what you need:
Prints of your instagram pictures
- You can either get them printed at walgreens or another photo printer, or print your own on slightly thick paper. I printed my own on 60 lb paper in two sizes – 2 and 2.5 inches (2 inches is authentic instagram size, but I wanted some bigger ones as well).
- I bought a roll of magnet paper at Michaels (Jo Ann’s didn’t carry it) for about $10 and used a 40% off coupon. One roll did quite a few – I made three sets of between 8-12.
First, cut out your instagram picture.
Then cut out a similar size (a hair bigger) magnet. Peel off the paper, line up a corner of the instagram picture as close as you can, and press them together. Smooth over with your fingers to get rid of any air bubbles.
Use your scissors to trim around the magnet to tighten up the edges. That’s it!
This spring our nephews turned 2 and 3. Since they are nearing the age of make-believe, a homemade superhero cape and mask sounded like the perfect birthday gift for both. I used a combination of my own ideas combined with some DIY’s I found online (links included below) to create a custom design (no sewing machine required). Needless to say, both of the boys liked their gifts.
Cost: About $8 for each cape/mask set.
Time: 1-2 hrs depending on how much detail you put into it. I’m sure you could do a simple version in 20 minutes.
- I made the logo by printing out a large B, pinning to felt cutouts (I guessed at the lightning shape), and attached them together using embroidery thread and a needle.
- I found a layout of a mask online, printed it out, and attached with pins to felt. I then attached a piece of stretchy elastic to each end.
Acorns have been falling loudly and steadily on the roof, cars, driveway, etc. for the last month or so. A week ago I saw a great tutorial on creating a wreath out of these autumnal pests. I gathered hundreds of them (actually pretty easy, considering how many are in our yard), and followed the blog’s directions. I invited a fellow crafter over, and we spent an evening glueing acorns and watching “Bridesmaids”. The next day, half the acorns fell off. I tried it again, this time painting the styrofoam wreath brown, and using a high-heat glue gun I bought from wal-mart. Success!